Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Wit of Alex Gregory



Alex Gregory is a cartoonist for the New Yorker, as well as a television comedy writer. Among other shows, he has worked on "King of the Hill" and "Late Night with David Letterman". In this interview, he talks about the importance of editing in humor, how extra verbiage can kill an otherwise funny concept. I really appreciate this point - I always edit down jokes I get through email before forwarding them on...

Some cartoonists draw their humor from wacky visuals, but Gregory's pieces are carefully draw to the point of being draftsmanlike. The comedy comes from a finely honed punchline. Anyway, I wanted to put this cartoon on my blog, and so I wrote this little tribute to the great Mr. Gregory to make it seem less contrived..!

1 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger jpf said...

You would edit down a "shaggy dog" story/joke?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home